Pages

Tuesday, May 29


Hey everyone! Sorry I’ve been a bit silent lately, I’ve been a very busy bee suddenly. To let you in on one of the more exciting reasons, I’ve been working super hard getting ready for my stall at the Fattylympics in London on 7th July.

To quote/paraphrase the Fattylympics blog:

The Fattylympics is a community event satirising the You Know Whats in East London, 2012.

It takes place on Saturday 7 July 2012, at Grassroots, Memorial Park, West Ham. It is free to attend and children are welcome.

The Fattylympics is organised by two fat activists living in East London, it has been paid for by a series of community fundraising events, and is supported by a handful of volunteers. It is non-commercial. 
These are some of our values.


We will be publishing the programme closer to the day but for now we can say that the Fattylympics will be an afternoon larking around in the park. We will have Opening and Closing Ceremonies, a Fattylympics torch and specially-written anthem. There will be four participatory events, plus performances and stalls. Egg'n'Spoon are the official Fattylympics mascots, and they will be making an appearance too. The Fattylympics is non-competitive and everyone will get a medal. We are hoping for an afternoon that is silly, relaxed and low-key.

I’m making lots of things to take with me – I’ll have circle skirts galore, hopefully some dresses(!), and some other sartorial delights for the excessive dresser in you. I’m trying to make things in a bunch of sizes, but obviously I’m only one person so I can’t promise the world! However, suffice to say, the size selection will be substantially more generous than the high street (in more ways than one, wink wink). I’m also bringing Make It Work #1 AND 2 (which isn’t finished yet, and you can still contribute!), as well as a cute mini self-care zine I’m working on. I’m hoping there will also be badges and some DIY jewellery.

If you’re wanting to see my wares in person, or if you’ve got a project in mind and want to talk it through, come along. My friend Caroline is also having a stall and between the two of us we’ll also be doing some crafty skills sharing! You should come along to the Fattylympics anyway, because it’ll be a fun day filled with activism and community, and one I’ve been looking forward to for eons. 


No comments:

Post a Comment